Followers

Friday 5 December 2014

   The life of a hooker. As it turns out, I happen to be one of the slowest hookers around. If you thought we didn't keep track, well the truth is, we do. I didn't set out to be like this, it just happened. Before I realized it, I had been working on the same one for nearly three years!

   Maybe now is a good time to clear up any misconceptions; I'm talking about rugs and it's way smaller than you imagine (I'm sure). I enjoy how they start to take on a life of their own. Anything it was in the beginning, it has metamorphosed into it's peculiar character.
   I thought maybe six months, boy was I wrong. I should have listened to all the ladies at rug hooking when they told me not to use such fine yarn, and I didn't listen. My frugal brain was on one track to free materials, and so it was that this rug was made with mostly yarn, and a lot of acrylic. (Gasp!) The Edmonton Traditional Rug Hookers Guild ( http://www.edmontontraditionalrughookersguild.com ) just love wool and cannot comprehend why I would choose lesser materials. "Because it's Free!" I would exclaim.
   I now know the error of my ways, as it takes forever to hook a rug with tiny threads, even if they are free. I have learned valuable technique in fine detail as well as the importance of persistence. I think it wise to choose a tiny hot matt for my next project, with a wide cut wool.  Maybe then I could finish in one year!

   Yesterday, at the monthly Hookers meeting, I finally was able to stand in front of the group and show my nearly finished piece! (Finished enough, just need to complete the hot pink edge.) It felt really good to have the support of so many great people, very much the reason I keep going back.

   Now I'm free! Free to start a new project without the guilt of UFO's (un finished objects) haunting me.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment