Followers

Monday 8 December 2014

   Sometimes I feel as though life is just made up of many confusing codes meant to make me feel better at first, but once deciphered are really just designed to let me know how people really feel about me.

   Like the moment when someone gives you a big hug and smile upon meeting up with you, (an hour late) telling you all about how it has been too long since the last visit, while they proceed to incessantly check their phone and fill you in on what other people are doing...on Facebook.
 
   Possibly you have also experienced the bait and switch, wherein you have been invited to a splendid afternoon of fun and games, while upon arrival, you realize what they really meant. They really wanted to invite you over so you can watch their crappy T.V. program while they check their phone for something better to do.

   Since when has it been ok to plan a time to meet someone, only to call 15 minutes past that time to reschedule, and do The Same Thing an hour later!

   Some of you out there must have had this moment; someone asks you what you have been up to lately, you begin to go through your mental files and deliver your most excited recounting of this weeks adventures, when you realize the original question was meant as a "Hey-how-are-ya?". I always feel so silly, I really thought they wanted to know…

   Some people say they love you so much. So much they can't bring themselves to talk to you.

   Have you ever been cuddling, watching a movie with a loved one, when you hear a giggle, a snort, buttons tapping. You look over, encountering the blank look of a glowing face in the dark, hiding behind a tiny screen.

   I have been invited to dinner, only to have the host change the venue without letting me know. I drove half an hour to a different town for a dinner that was happening down the street from my house. Needless to say, we were late.

   I get it, people are busy, plans change. I only want to know, is it me? Am I the only one who feels this code is perplexing? Does easily accessible technology give everyone the right to abandon simple courtesy and manners? Is it the people I am choosing to have in my life?

   I miss just watching the hockey game with Grandma, eventually one of us thought of something to talk about, even if it wasn't groundbreaking. I miss the days when I could call someone, make a date, meet at the agreed upon time, and enjoy someones simple company. All the funniest things happen when I'm just wasting time with somebody special.
 
  I guess not so much has changed, except now the only special person I seem to be able to waste time with is myself.
   I think I may bring along some paper and glue, sparkles and pom-poms wherever I go. That way when everyone is "busy" on their phone, I will enjoy myself!

   Maybe I shouldn't be so harsh. My honorary Grandpa always listens (even if he doesn't always hear), and is always up for a cup of tea if he's not feeling like a glass of wine. My pets always give me all of their undivided attention and I'm sure they could write a whole blog of their own feelings of being ignored. Paint is so patient, my sewing machine is always there for me, strangers read this blog (thank you), my grocery clerk seems really genuine, and the ladies at rug hooking have always made me feel like I really am interesting and talented. My sister believes in me and takes the time to call almost everyday, even though she is the busiest person I know. My Mister commits to painting decorations and making Christmas cards with me, I am aware how much he would rather be doing almost anything else.   I would also like to thank the stranger in the grocery store who wanted me to know about the shorter line I could be taking advantage of. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment